Wolves Beat Warriors In Thriller

Warri Wolves and Abia Warriors thrilled with a goal-feast in a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) game at the Warri City Stadium on Friday.
The home side won the dramatic contest 3-2 with the winner arriving in the final minute of added time. Wolves had played three games less than the visitors before kickoff as a result of their involvement in the 2015 CAF Confederation Cup.
The Warri club also had three points less than the Warriors and knew a win would take them level on points with the Umuahia-based club at the end of the day. Garba Mohammed, Bolaji Sakin, Nnaemeka Anyanwu and Kalu Nweke did not start for the Warriors against Kano Pillars but were restored to the first team by head coach, Ladan Bosso.
Wolves coach, Paul Aigbogun welcomed back Gbolahan Salami and Joseph Eyimofe to the first team after the duo missed out on Wolves’ shock 0-3 defeat to AC Leopards in
the first leg of their playoff tie in Dolisie at the weekend. Monday Osagie and Joseph Osadiaye however failed late fitness tests and were subsequently excluded from
the match day squad.
Wolves went about the task of amassing maximum points in positive fashion and duly got their reward with the opening goal just after the half hour mark. Fearsome striker, Oghenekaro Etebo was the individual who got the spectators up on their feet with a truly spectacular strike.
The attacker proceeded on a mazy run that left two Warriors in his wake before producing the most delicate of lobs to leave the Abia Warriors goalkeeper, Joseph Onuoha
with eggs on his face.
Kolanut boy, Chisom Chikatara was having a lively evening and he eventually hurled his side back into the contest on 58 minutes with a rather fortuitous goal.
The forward showed predatory instincts to poke home from close range after Wolves goalkeeper, Daniel Akpeyi spilled a shot from Sakin.
Wolves were always going to respond with wave after wave of attacking play and following a rash of substitutions by Aigbogun as the home side looked to get back in
front on 67 minutes.
They were however made to pay the price of playing a
high line as the Warrior took a rather shock lead through
The former Dolphins man snapped Wolves the offside trap before firing emphatically past a shell-shocked Akpeyi. He celebrated in expansive fashion and received a yellow card for his troubles.
Wolves refused to be deflated and got the reward for consistent attacking play when Michael Okoyoh equalized with a rather tame effort which was spilled by Onuoha in the 79th minute. With ten minutes and additional time still to play,
Wolves could smell blood and honed in for the kill while the Warriors defended in numbers in an attempt to hold on for a share of the spoils.
The goal which eventually won the game could not have been scored in more dramatic circumstances. Okoyoh was at the tip of the spear as he connected sweetly with a half volley from the edge of the area to leave Onuoha with little chance in the final minute of added time.
The midfielder was subsequently mobbed by his teammates, while the brave Warriors collapsed on the turf, distraught after failing to get the point their valiant effort probably deserved.