Govt Sympathises With Ogbe-Ijoh Market Fire Victims

THE Delta State Government
has sympathised
with victims of the
inferno that gutted the Ogbe-
Ijoh Market in Warri,
describing the incident as
unfortunate and a colossal
loss to the traders.
Addressing the traders
during his visit to assess
the extent of damage on the
market by the fire outbreak,
the Commissioner, Bureau
for Special Duties, Barr.
Ernest Ogwezzy, lamented
the sad incident, noting that
fire outbreak at the market
has become a recurrent
He wondered what has
been causing the fire outbreak
in the market every
year, saying that the state
government was not happy
about the ugly and sad deficers
of the Warri Fire
Service led by Mr. Francis
Tamigbe for their quick
response in putting off the
fire before it escalated and
urged them to keep the flag
Narrating their plight,
the Woman Leader of the
market, Madam Queen Wurusajemitolu
and Mrs. Esther
John on behalf of the
victims, lamented the fire
outbreak, disclosing that
they lost goods, such as fish,
garri, rice, beans, among
others, worth millions of
naira to the inferno.
They commended the
commissioner for his timely
visit and passionately appealed
to the state government
to come to their aid
in the form of financial
assistance to enable them
stand on their feet again,
disclosing that majority
of the victims borrowed
money to support their
businesses and wondered
how they would survive.
They equally appealed
to the state government
to provide water borehole
in the market, as well as
reconstruct the market,
noting that the shops which
were built with planks/
wood were easy prey to
The women who were
in tears also lamented the
activities of hoodlums,
who took advantage of the
fire incident to loot some
shops, even as they called
for adequate security in the
market to checkmate the
activities of criminals.
Our correspondent reports
that no fewer than
four lines of shops were
completely burnt by the
As at the time of filling
this report, the cause of the
fire outbreak was yet to be
The commissioner also
visited Sapele where rainstorm
blew off the roof
of Mr. Diamond Osireoh’s
house at No. 34, Abeke
Road, Sapele and Sapele/
Okpe Community Town
Hall where a telecommunication
mast pulled down by
the rainstorm, damaged the
roof of the security house of
the town hall.
Ogwe z z y, h owe ve r,
thanked God that no life
was lost; assuring the victims
that the state government
would take necessary
steps to ameliorate their
plight and enjoined them
to be patient.
The commissioner, who
was accompanied on the
visit by a Director in the
State Emergency Management
Agency (SEMA), Mrs.
Gladys Puegene and other
staff, urged the traders to
be conscious of the security
of the market, avoid storage
of inflammable items in the
market and ensure that fire
used in smoking or drying
fish were completely put off
before the close of business,
to avoid fire outbreak.
He commended the of-